Saturday, January 17, 2015

'i' from my eye - Movie Review

Hype, expectations had rather become the synonym of 'i', in due course of its release. When I realized that the movie would releasing a day later in the northern part of the country, my anticipation got busted. Because I was pretty sure, that to refrain from looking at the review of the film for next 24 hrs is gonna be a tedious task. I couldn't help but to call my friends and ask so desperately for spoilers. The two things, I was prepared for or at-least I was told before I got a glimpse of the movie was it's not atypical story, its predictable & it's one time watchable.

All guns firing from inside, I hopped on to my bike, put on my headphones, playing "Ennodu Nee Irundaal" for the umpteenth time. It was Delhi winters, so heavenly was not
just the road & fog in front of my eyes, but the song made a soulful journey towards the theaters.

Apparently after 3 hrs, 3 mins when I took the stairs to climb-down, my footsteps were heavy. The only question that lingered in my mind too long was, what has Shankar done with three precious years of Vikram's life?

My friends who gave me the spoilers were apt & over generous. The problems with 'i', was too many. It's not that the audience from this part of the country, would not accept such a story-line, they would have glorified it, if the protagonist would have been Vijay or Ajith. It is not that the expectations has let them down, they never accepted a super fantasy movie like 'Ayirathil Oruvan' and any day they would laud a movie like Kathhi or Arambam for that matter. It's just they that did not come to see this script from shankar.

For sure the movie is not out of the world with its twist and turns. It's so foreseeable and for it's group of villains who are pathetically acquitted but the director himself. If 'i' was all about love & emotion, I never expected ‘i’ too be so painful in its romance as well. I wasn’t even pleased with the romantic routs of Lee & Diya. The amorous scene at the dug in China was so miserable that I was longing for the dialogues of Gautam Menon, for that beautiful location & lovely BGM by ARR. For those fight sequences were too long, typical and boring. Though Santhanam, tries to amuse us with his one liner gimmicks, Shankar has him controlled only to the first & last part of the movie. The carryover of the film was a huge drawback; Shankar would have yearned for the presence of Sujatha.

‘i’ for sure, ain't just a movie, from the genius of Vikram, a glossy PC's lens, to the majestic art work of Muthuraj and the dream of Shankar, ‘i’ is an experience in itself if not less. 

But to the question, was ‘i’ worth for its longing & the time taken to deliver, the answer is indeed it has fallen short. Ironically I never played, 'Ennodu Nee Irundaal' when I returned back.

Verdict: Vikram's beauty just surpasses, to save Shankar's ugly 'i' from biting the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment